Getting started with Typio
When a student logs into Typio, then are brought to the Main Menu. This is where they can choose Typing Pet, Basic Modes Settings or Logout/Exit. Use the Up and Down arrows to navigate and press Enter to make a choice.
If a student wants to raise their Typing Pet, choose that option. If they would rather type without the pet, choose Basic Modes.
Typing Pet and Basic Modes each have a different typing curriculum. Typing Pet allows the student to spend more time learning the keyboard while practicing lessons and interacting with their Typing Pet. Basic Modes is a more rapid way of learning the keyboard.
Progressing Through the Keyboard
From the Typing Pet menu, choose Typing Journey. Typio will then introduce each new key with a tutorial and lesson for that key. If the student meets the their Accuracy and WPM goals (found Settings), they will be move on to the next lesson. Students will also be presented with practice lessons while on their Typing Journey.
A student learn the entire keyboard just using the Typing Journey mode but we encourage them to explore the other modes as well.
After choosing Basic Modes, choose “Next Key”. This will introduce a tutorial on the next key to learn, followed by a lesson on that key. If WPM and Accuracy goals are met, students will progress on to the next lesson.
A student could learn the entire keyboard with only the “Next Key” lessons and tutorials. Everything else is additional practice.
From the Typing Pet menu, choose Training, then any training mode.
- Journey Training: This mode lets users choose any lesson they’ve already completed.
- Custom Training: Choosing this mode allows students to type a custom lesson sent to them from your Teacher Dashboard.
- Mini Training: This mode contains 10 randomized words based on the current letter being learned. It’s a great way to mix things up and provide quick wins for your typing students.
From the Basic Modes menu, choose any of the following modes:
- Practice Typoing: This mode lets users choose any included Typio lesson or a custom lesson sent to them from your Teacher Dashboard.
- Explore Mode: This is where a student can explore the keyboard freely.
- Mini Review: This mode contains 10 randomized words based on the current letter being learned. It’s a great way to mix things up and provide quick wins for your typing students.
- Free Type: This mode allows a student to type anything they would like for a certain amount of time (found in Settings). At the end of the time they receive a typing score.